Bill O'Reilly wins the misinformer of the year award for gems such as, "We [the United States] have a trade deficit with everybody, because everybody wants our stuff, and we're not wild about snails."
O'Reilly is also included in the top ten most outrageous statements of 2004, which I include here in its entirety just because misery loves company:
- Rush Limbaugh on the Abu Ghraib photos: "I'm talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You ever heard of need to blow some steam off?"
- Ann Coulter: "[Senator John] Kerry will improve the economy in the emergency services and body bag industry."
- Tony Blankley called philanthropist George Soros "a Jew who figured out a way to survive the Holocaust."
- Michael Savage: "When you hear 'human rights,' think gays. ... [T]hink only one thing: someone who wants to rape your son."
- Oliver North: "Every terrorist out there is hoping John Kerry is the next president of the United States."
- Pat Robertson on gays and lesbians: "[S]elf-absorbed hedonists ... that want to impose their particular sexuality on the rest of America."
- Pat Buchanan: "[H]omosexuality is an affliction, like alcoholism."
- Bill O'Reilly to Jewish caller: "[I]f you are really offended, you gotta go to Israel."
- Bill Cunningham (Clear Channel radio host who appeared as a guest on The Sean Hannity Show): The election is over because "Elizabeth Edwards has now sung."
- Jerry Falwell: "And we're going to invite PETA [to "wild game night"] as our special guest, P-E-T-A -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. We want you to come, we're going to give you a top seat there, so you can sit there and suffer. This is one of my special groups, another one's the ACLU, another is the NOW -- the National Order of Witches [sic]. We've got -- I've got a lot of special groups."