Saturday, January 01, 2005

Stupid headline department

The front page, above the fold headline in today's LA Times?

"Bush Boosts US Aid Tenfold"

You know, I am a cynical person (actually, I am a disappointed idealist, but that's a distinction for another time). I tend to look for ulterior motives in most everything this administration does, but it never occurred to me that they would pledge a paltry amount so that their real pledge could be spun as "tenfold."

I haven't said anything about the tsunami here for a couple of reasons. First, I was away when it happened, and most everyone has commented on it, giving links for donations and information. And second, honestly, words pretty much fail me. Patrick sums it up saying, "Sometimes, attempting to project order and sense onto chaos is a losing proposition." The disaster is so epic that it feels to me like the Bible is the only template for understanding, and lacking a belief in that...

No comments: