Tuesday, June 28, 2005

It's all about me

Tagged by the Yella for the self-revelatory meme...

1. What were three of the stupidest things you have done in your life?

First let me say that, like Yella, most of the stupid things I've done have ended up to my benefit in the end, if I take the long view. Second, I am taking this at face value--"stupidest," as in "doh!" not necessarily most regretable, which I would hardly blog about. Though admittedly there is overlap in these categories. Let me also say, it's really tough to pick only three. And it's humbling to think about how long this list could be.

a) Attempting to cop drugs in the DC projects as a teenage white girl

b) Hitch-hiking (and here I am feeling just a wee bit of gratitude I didn't end up in garbage bags under a half dozen bridges)

c) Putting off writing my dissertation for so many years

2. At the current moment, who has the most influence in your life?

My best friend, Andrea (when she says, "I wouldn't do that if I were you," I really listen; when most other people say that, I think, "Yeah, but you're not, are you?")

3. If you were given a time machine that functioned, and you were allowed to only pick up to five people to dine with, who would you pick?

a) Anne Hutchinson
b) Stephen Burroughs
c) Deborah Sampson
d) Vincent Van Gogh
e) my dad

Which is to say, my dad and the outlaws. Probably I should add Dorothy Parker, or PT Barnum, or Oscar Wilde or someone who would brighten up the attitude a little, but I'm counting on Stephen Burroughs to keep things lively.

4. If you had three wishes that were not supernatural, what would they be?

a) Free, on-demand health care for everyone

b) A redistribution of wealth (aka economic justice)

c) Peace on earth (well, maybe all of those are supernatural, but oh well)

5. Someone is visiting your hometown/place where you live at the moment. Name two things you regret your city not having, and two things people should avoid.

Two things it's a shame we don't have:

a) air with a decent amount of oxygen
b) sidewalk culture

Two things people should avoid:

a) the 405 during rush hour(s)
b) the 101 during rush hour(s)

6. Name one event that has changed your life.

Okay, this may sound weird, but I'd say HUAC, despite the fact that it happened before I was born. Having a parent who was blacklisted teaches you a lot of things from a young age--like standing up for what you believe in is not necessarily rewarded, your government is not always on your side, and zealotry of all kinds should be regarded with suspicion to name just a few.

7. Tag 5 people.

Conor
Elise
Carrie
CB
Rook

No comments: