Thursday, November 18, 2004

Woof

Okay, I know this happened days ago, but what can I say...I'm getting caught up. From Bush and Blair's joint press conference

Q: Mr. President, first. The Prime Minister is sometimes, perhaps unfairly, characterized in Britain as your "poodle." I was wondering if that's the way you may see your relationship? And perhaps, more seriously, do you feel for the --

Blair: Don't answer "yes" to that question. If you do, I would be -- (laughter.) That would be difficult.

Q: Do you feel, for the strong support that Britain has given you over Iraq, that you have to pay back Britain for that support in some way?
Bush jumps in with a fervent defense of Blair ending with:
These are troubled times. It's a tough world. What this world needs is steady, rock-solid leaders who stand on principle. And that's what the Prime Minister means to me. [At least he didn't say anything about it being "hard work"]
Then Blair tries to defend himself, saying he backs the "war against terrorism" because it's the right thing to do, not just because he's Bush's whipping boy. To which, Bush says:

Good job.
Woof.

No comments: