Sunday, November 21, 2004

All lost in the supermarket

I always doubt myself when I blog "discoveries." I wonder, has everyone already seen this? Am I like the person forwarding that same tired list of medical or legal jokes that the recipient has deleted 14 times already? I do try not to be stale.

In any case, TrueGoods is a site that pretty much scares me. It's modeled after a shopping site, but instead of buying things, you tick off your values and put them in a shopping cart. If you get stuck, you can browse other folks'
value statements. I'm a big fan of metaphor. I really am, but I'm just thinking the shopping cart doesn't really work for things like Equality and A World at Peace.

Most of the Value Statements are along the lines of Patti's, "There are many things in life that will catch your eye; But only a few will catch your heart ~ pursue those," if more long winded. A lot of people talking about loving people and treading lightly on the earth (for more on that topic, see below). But then, there are the occasional odd balls. The Phenomenologist:
Meaning is a human invention. Life itself is (only) a phenomenon and the realisation of this should be considered a liberation from imagined and imposed demands. The only things that are real are people (though they may be meaningless), who can not be totally ignored by your own psyche.
The missionary:
We must each find Jesus and make Him our personal Savior. When we keep Him in our hearts He will direct us through life. Then we will have the peace that is beyond understanding.
And the Lost Soul:
I walk the planet alone, looking for something more than I have been given. But, it does not exist in this world and I can not find it. All of my life, I have been drowning in the Sea of Sadness, filled by my tears.
I'm sorry we're all out of the single servings of Personal Fulfillment. We only have the economy pack in stock. Is there anything else we can help you with today?

No comments: