Saturday, November 20, 2004

Action and fashion

Just getting on board here with what everyone's blogging (Eschaton, Alternate Brain, Hullabaloo...)

First, the Washington Post distributed an appallingly anti-gay magazine with its Friday paper. You can read about it and download the .pdfs at AMERICAblog. The substance of the feature article is that blacks were given civil rights because they were being discriminated on the basis of traits that are immutable while homosexuality is a choice, and a bad one indeed, according to Both Sides magazine. In fact, given the fact that the median age for a gay man without AIDS and with a long-term partner is 41 (watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat, Rocky), as opposed to the 75 years a married hetero lives, to make gay marriage legal would "institutionalize a lifestyle that would cut the lives of our young men by nearly a third." Nuff said. It's appalling. This is the contact information for the Post's ombudsman:
Mike Getler:
- ombudsman@washpost.com
- (202) 334-7582

Here's my favorite line from my email to him:
Happily, I no longer live in D.C., a fine city, but hamstrung by a press with an editorial policy that apparently could have been drafted by a cheap whore (or Tom DeLay).

Even when I'm most pissed off, I do crack myself up sometimes.

Okay now that you've gotten angry and depressed, go to Oliver Willis' site to check out his cool tee shirts. I like this one:



1 comment:

Jmac said...

Excellent shop at Oliver Willis. Thanks for the link. I can already imagine the conversations with my uber-Republican brother-in-law during Christmas ...