Sunday, November 14, 2004

Where the blood is coming from

So I had to work today, which just feels wrong to me, and I am bone weary. Part of my job is coordinating volunteers who come in from around the world to serve on workgroups, and one of those workgroups is in town right now, so posting will be light these next few days. Today in the workgroup we were talking about race and diversity. And humanity really. In particular we were discussing the need to reach across racial lines in the work we do (which is a-political, I feel I must clarify). We were talking too about the need to keep sight of our similarities, our common bond, even while we respect and try to speak to our differences. "Aren't we all red inside," one of the workgroup members said. "Or really red and blue," he corrected himself, "depending on where the blood is coming from."

No comments: