Sunday, November 28, 2004

Why it is good I am not a librarian

So I had every intention of revamping my links this weekend. Never mind that I am approaching HTML like those people who put together furniture without reading the directions and end up with a wobbly chair and a handful of screws. I accepted my limitations and was going to at least add links to the ugly list that now exists even if I can't yet make it look attractive.

But this is exactly the kind of task that stymies me. It's the categorization thing. (And here we begin to uncover some of why it took me lo-those-many-years to write my dissertation.) I had thought there are so many sites I like that I didn't want to just willy-nilly them into one impossible list. And some of them are places I read diligently, and some are places I not only visit several times a day, I feel the bloggers are my virtual friends or developing friends. And that seemed worth noting as well. So I'd thought something like "haunts" and "regular stops," but then what? Then I thought, maybe "those wild Athenians" should be called out as such, but how to categorize the rest of the planet? And then I thought maybe "inspiration" for those sites that buoy my spirits and "conspiration" for my buddies. But what else? Expiration? Perspiration?

If I use "fellow travelers" as a category, will the liberal but non-leftist folks get their feathers ruffled? Is "great stuff if you overlook the knitting/yoga" a legitimate category that anyone understands but me? These are the questions I ask myself.

All of which is to say, I have done nothing. I really must go to bed because even if I were to miraculously shed my insomnia and go to sleep this instant, I still run the risk of falling asleep in the courthouse tomorrow.

Revised link list coming soon (maybe).

4 comments:

Fixer said...

Travis,

I know I speak for the other two crazies at The Brain when I say we're honored to be listed in such exalted company. Great thanks.

The F-man

Jmac said...

I went with 'Friends, Athenians, countrymen' on my site, lumping all blogs into one category.

Was a lot funnier earlier.

Fixer said...

I use Blogrolling over at The Brain. Much easier to add links than having to republish every time you update.

Travis (♀) said...

Shucks, you guys...you're so sweet. Blogrolling I'd thought about. I may go that way. J I think that's pretty darned funny, but then I thought "good stuff if you ignore the knitting" was funny too, so take it for what it's worth.