Monday, February 07, 2005

Get politically active now; ask me how!

A friend just forwarded an email to me from Generation Engage, a new 501c3 that aims to get "young people" more politically active. I do wish them the best of luck. But going to their website the first thing I noticed is the fogey-like graphics. The site sort of says "Hi, we're your parents." And so you get paragraphs like this:
Generation Engage is distinct from other youth voter initiatives in that it explicitly strives to reach all young people, including those not affiliated with academic institutions. Generation Engage is premised on the notion that young people do not engage politically – or more specifically, vote – because they do not feel tied to the political process. They feel politically fragmented and detached from one another. Generation Engage strives to address that.
But the kicker for me was this:



It's a pyramid scheme for political engagement. Can I interest you in some vitamins while you register to vote? Or perhaps some cosmetics?

No comments: