Friday, January 27, 2006

Make the call

Okay, more on this later if I can (busy at work at present), but before it gets any later on the east coast let me say quickly that, if you haven't already, you should call your senators today and urge them to support Kerry's efforts to filibuster. Their numbers are here. If you're a fellow Californian, that would be
Barbara Boxer: (202) 224-3553
Diane Feinstein: (202) 224-3841

(As an aside, is it just me or does the new Senate page design look like a cheesy blogger template? I keep expecting to see some note "I'm a large mammal in the TTLB Ecosystem.")

I don't need to explain why you should loathe Alito do I? If his stance on reproductive rights isn't enough, his over-weaning affection for executive power (over that of the other two branches) ought to be.

You can learn more about filibuster at Wikipedia or the Senate site itself. The short version is that it takes 60 votes to invoke cloture--the process to end a filibuster. The Republicans only have 55 seats in the Senate, so if the Democrats didn't suck ass so badly we could stop the nomination train (it's happened before) and save both reproductive rights and the governmental balance of power.

Okay, I'm calling now. You should too.

No comments: