Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Just when I think I'm beyond shock

Comes news like today's story at AlterNet about women soldiers who died of dehydration rather than subject themselves to night visits to the latrine:
Karpinski testified that a surgeon for the coalition's joint task force said in a briefing that "women in fear of getting up in the hours of darkness to go out to the port-a-lets or the latrines were not drinking liquids after 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and in 120 degree heat or warmer, because there was no air-conditioning at most of the facilities, they were dying from dehydration in their sleep."

. . . .

Sanchez's attitude was: "The women asked to be here, so now let them take what comes with the territory," Karpinski quoted him as saying.
Sanchez being the former senior US military commander in Iraq, the man who covered up the deaths.

I can't even comment. I am literally sick to my stomach.

(Thanks to Shakespeare's Sister for the story.)

No comments: