Thursday, May 19, 2005

A nod to what everyone else is talking about

I hereby acknowledge that I am the only sentient being in my country who does not care about the latest episode in the Star Wars opus. I just don't. It's like a belief in god--I've tried; I really have; I just can't muster the enthusiasm. Perhaps one day I will open some previously locked door in my psyche and find a taste for blockbuster movies alongside faith in a creator (as well as a desire to watch reality TV and a yearning for a new car though my old one works just fine). In the meantime, I share with anyone else who is a non-fan, the Village Voice review of Sith:
In debt to lurid sci-fi-novel cover art, Revenge of the Sith achieves the ultimate in what could be called Baroque Nerdism, a frame-filling aesthetic of graphic overdesign that began with The Phantom Menace and has now been jacked up to an absurd degree. Half the film takes place at dawn or dusk, so that the Marin County team can geek out on artificial roseate glow—a sugary luminence used so frequently one wonders if they developed a Maxfield Parrish plug-in to get the job done.
Hee hee. Baroque Nerdism. I love it. Anyway, the review is pretty funny and damn well written (even if they did misspell "luminance").

No comments: