Thursday, May 19, 2005

Looking on the bright side

Thinking this morning about yesterday's post and Galloway's use of the word "traduced" in his fervent speech before the Senate, it occurred to me that, say what I want about this administration, it hasn't been all bad. Just think of all of the words that one so rarely gets occasion to use that have been put back into frequent circulation. Venality, obfuscation, perfidy, and rapaciousness are just a few that come to mind. What's more, I've had increased motivation to brush up on history and literary classics. My heart is filled with gratitude.

My Mister Rogers' calendar today tells me that the word "caring" comes from the Gothic word kara, which means "to lament." Mr. Rogers says, "Caring is a matter of being there. . .lamenting right along with the one who laments." So, my regular readers, if no one's told you they care about you today, let me be the first.

No comments: