Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The party of the financiers

Despite ongoing efforts by my friends and family to school me in the more sinister aspects of our government, I find at times I am still too naive to predict the level of venality. Take Bush's comment on the forthcoming bankruptcy laws for instance. This past weekend one of my friends was commenting that credit card companies would now be granting cards to more and more folks who probably shouldn't have them. While I am as disgusted as anyone over this latest "reform," I thought at the time that was perhaps a bit paranoid. And yet...today I read this from Bush:
These commonsense reforms will make the system stronger and better so that more Americans--especially lower-income Americans--have greater access to credit
Interpretation: Now that we've taken away their safety net, we can help scads of the have-nots further impoverish themselves. Sigh.

Okay, I'm going to hide from the world in my all-day meeting now.

No comments: