Tuesday, April 19, 2005

All pope radio, all the time

So apparently all news in the world has ceased save the election of a new pope. This morning, on my way in to work, the entire airwaves had seemingly been hijacked by the Catholics and wanna be's. "New pope...(click)...black smoke...(click)...string the ballots together...(click)...vatican..."

I am clearly the only person on the planet who doesn't really care very much. I mean, it would have been nice to have a liberal pope, in the same sort of way it would be nice to have a benevolent dictator. Yeah, I'm oversimplifying. So sue me.

On a related note, it is reported that John Paul is finding the eternal reward a bit disappointing:
The soul of Pope John Paul, which entered heaven last week following a long illness, expressed confusion and disappointment Saturday, upon learning that the Celestial Kingdom of God to which the departed faithful ascend in the afterlife is significantly less luxurious than the Vatican's Papal Palace, in which the pope spent the past 26 years of his earthly life.

. . .

"Up here, everyone is equal," John Paul II said. "No one has to go through an elaborate bowing ritual when they greet me. And do you know how many times my ring has been kissed since I arrived? None. Up here, I'm mingling with tax collectors, fishermen, and whores. It's just going to take a little getting used to, is all."

No comments: