Monday, March 28, 2005

Worth repeating

One of my former students (in one of my last lives as a perennial grad student, I taught college) sends a regular email update about what's going on in his life. This is from his email this weekend about life in Armenia, where he just arrived:
I'm going to close here with a little story that has made A laugh about thee times a day since it happened. I am not a short man, which is one of my few redeeming features, and in Armenia I am a flat-out giant. In addition to being white, and blue-eyed, and not having jet black hair, my 6'3" really makes me stand out here. People here stare at me, even before I do something totally outrageous. I don't mind at all of course, being quite used to it in America.

Well, on our second day here, we were walking through the main square where a giant statue of Lenin once stood, and I was looking around at the buildings and architecture and such as I strode (how about that word) across the plaza. I was kind of close to a couple of little kids who were looking the other way and when I got near, the older one (about 6 years) turned, gasped, grabbed his little brother and pointed up at me and chattered in Armenian, "Godzilla!!" And then they both ran off. I am not a real good-looking guy, but "Godzilla?" Ouch.

There's plenty more already, but that's going to wait for the next Update. I was on TV and made a lot of friends on the bus and apparently feeding me is some kind of sport here. Wait and see.
As for me, I am still alive out here--feeling marginally challenged balancing all of my life stuff right now, which is why the theater was dark this weekend. But I'm brainstorming other phrases for "hypocritical dickhead" so that I can post my feelings about DeLay later.

No comments: