Thursday, March 31, 2005

Godforsaken

I have been working on a theory over here. And inspired by the "all god's children deserve feeding tubes" fervor of the religious right, it may be time to share it.

One of the reasons I've always had trouble believing in a capital-G God--the creator and all that--is that the world is pretty damn fucked up. (News flash, I know.) How can this be the result of "intelligent design" has always been my line of thinking. But of course, there are those moments one wonders. The Northern Lights, Yeats' poetry, babies' fingernails, crème brûlée;... can it all be an accident of biology and mutation?

And then it came to me recently: We are the Beta test.

Wouldn't any intelligent design include a prototype, a little preliminary testing? I figure god was like "Hmm...separating heaven and earth...great innovation. Separating light and darkness...another good one. Biological diversity and nifty creatures...gosh I'm brilliant. But free will...nope. So much for that idea."

Somewhere out there in the cosmos is god's VHS. They have no pope, they let people die when it's time, the old are taken care of, no one is hungry, everyone is a leftist, and the chocolate is delicious.

No comments: