Sunday, March 06, 2005

California politics: vote early and often

One of the ten thousand tasks I have assigned myself today and tomorrow is to get caught up on the mayoral election (seeing that I need to vote Tuesday). I have lived in LA for 38 months now, and this will be either the fourth or fifth time I go to the polls (I've lost count). I find this a bit amazing really. I have lived in three counties in two other states and the District of Colombia, and this is the first place I've been where I've voted, not just every year, but more than once a year.

In today's LA Times there are a couple of editorials that analyze Los Angelenos' apathy toward local politics, and I just wonder how much of it has to do with the thinking "Well, if I miss this election, there will be another one in ten months or so." I mean, really.

No comments: