Monday, May 09, 2005

Amityville Horror

Okay, I know that it's symptomatic of something really wrong with me that I am compelled to mention this rotten movie in two separate posts, but I forgot to note below the one semi-interesting thing about the movie. I didn't notice when the first version came out lo' those many years ago, what a critique of the American dream the movie is. It's pretty funny. They buy this house because it's a bargain and it's their dream house. Then they can't move because "everything we have is in this house." Mr. Family Man goes nuts and becomes increasingly psychotic and scary and whenever Mrs. Family Woman tries to talk to him he rolls his eyes around like a spooked horse and says things like, "This is the life we've dreamed of."

Me? I'm a renter, thank you very much.

No comments: