Monday, August 08, 2005

Make self love, not war

In searching for something else entirely I came across this rather unbelievable piece in Harper's Readings. Apparently, a sex toy shop in Edison, NJ opted to send 36 vibrators to Iraqi women "for humanitarian reasons." Harpers has some of the accompanying letters:
Dear Iraqi Woman,

As the bombs and molten death rain unmercifully upon your homeland, know that there are those of us, in various corners of the world, who sympathize with what you are going through.

Although there is very little that I myself can accomplish to stop the invasion of our homeland, know that I am helping to send you various sexual toys and well-wishes in a show of solidarity. The Prophet (just like all religious figures) preaches patience, and I believe that your suffering will be short-lived.

Soon your precious oil reserves will be plundered, and our country will no longer be important. A local despot will gain power, and the great cycle will continue. Enjoy your vibrator while you can. When my fellow Americans leave your country, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to enjoy it much longer.
I admit, I read things like this and I think, "Can we just hurry up and blow ourselves to bits already?" Oy fucking vey.

No comments: