Tuesday, February 15, 2005

More on W's death-to-Social-Security tour

Dave Lindorff talks about his thwarted attempt to join the crowd when W brought his campaign to eliminate social security to Lindorff's town. Apparently the blacklists were no longer needed because the events are now ticketed and tickets are distributed by folks like Santorum. Lindorff kind of stumbled upon the event:
"Do you have a ticket?" one of the big guys asked, unsmilingly.

"No. Where do I get one?" I replied.

"You can't. It's too late." Now there was a smile.

"Where did you get them, before it was too late?" I asked him.

"Senator Santorum," he said, referring to Pennsylvania's junior and extremely right wing senator, Rick Santorum, who is up for re-election next year.

"How would I have known that?" I asked. "I don't recall reading any announcements in the media about how to get tickets for the president's visit."

"I don't know," the young man said. Now the smile had become a smirk.

. . .

"So who are you guys?" I asked them. "You don't look like Secret Service."

"We're from the Republican Party," one of them answered.
Lindorff calls it a "Leni Riefensthal moment" and I'm inclined to agree.

No comments: