Monday, February 14, 2005

Back on the grid

Two words about my accommodations in Lancaster: "web TV" (or is that one word?). I think that pretty much says it all.

I had an indicator of what I was up against when I got to the front desk just in time to see Lou Rawls' band get turned away because the hotel could not find their reservation.

It was another epic journey back to LA thanks to bad weather in Chicago and other assorted fun things. It's 4:00 a.m. right now (which is, of course, 7:00 a.m. Lancaster time) and I am finally going to sleep, but I could not wait until tomorrow to share a quick story about the flight out.

I'm sitting next to a woman who is also obviously traveling for business (as it turns out she is a "consultant" for Alcoa, whose job is to travel to plants and maximize profits). She tells me she travels to LA from Pittsburgh, where she lives, every week. She spends four days a week in LA and three in Pittsburgh.

Me: Wow, that must be rough. I would have a hard time living in two places

Alcoa lady: Well, you do get used to it. And I love LA so that makes it better.

Me: Yeah, at least they aren't sending you to Stillwater, Oklahoma every week.

Alcoa lady: I'm from Stillwater. That's where I grew up . . . Well, outside Stillwater really.

No comments: