Monday, February 07, 2005

"The delusional is no longer marginal"

The title of this post is a quote from a Bill Moyers essay "There is no tomorrow" I just received via email. It's not a new essay--though it's new to me. And I just can't quite make myself buy Moyers' point 100%. Am I in deep denial? Moyers argues that radical Christian fundamentalism is on the rise and that, among these vast numbers of people, the destruction of the environment is positive insofar as it hastens the rapture:
A 2002 Time-CNN poll found that 59 percent of Americans believe that the prophecies found in the book of Revelations are going to come true. Nearly one-quarter think the Bible predicted the 9/11 attacks. . . . people under the spell of such potent prophecies cannot be expected, as Grist puts it, "to worry about the environment. Why care about the earth, when the droughts, floods, famine and pestilence brought by ecological collapse are signs of the apocalypse foretold in the Bible? Why care about global climate change when you and yours will be rescued in the rapture? And why care about converting from oil to solar when the same God who performed the miracle of the loaves and fishes can whip up a few billion barrels of light crude with a word?"
. . .
It is hard for the journalist to report a story like this with any credibility. So let me put it on a personal level. I myself don't know how to be in this world without expecting a confident future and getting up every morning to do what I can to bring it about. So I have always been an optimist. Now, however, I think of my friend on Wall Street whom I once asked: "What do you think of the market?"I'm optimistic," he answered. "Then why do you look so worried?" And he answered: "Because I am not sure my optimism is justified."
I'm with him on that last part, but am I wrong to be skeptical about the rest? Someone please reassure me that it's not that bad.

No comments: