Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Lillywhite

Well, Bob Geldof, darling of the music world during my adolescence, is taking up a new role. After fronting the band the Boomtown Rats and then becoming a political figure with Band Aid, Geldof is now working hard at his latest incarnation: jaded cynical messed up guy. Perhaps inspired by the lifetime achievement honor he will receive at the Brit Awards next week, Geldof seems to be doing all he can to convince people they were wrong to like him in the first place. BBC reports:
Visiting Africa "bores me profoundly" but the media has confused the roles of politicians and celebrities, he said.

"Who's interested if the leader of Niger goes on Newsnight?" he told Radio Times magazine. "It's 'get Geldof'. I'm 'Mr Bloody Africa'."
. . .

"I'd dearly love not to have to go there the day after tomorrow.

"More often than not, it bores me profoundly . . . .



I'm going to have to agree with Andrea on this one: I'm thinking somebody needs Betty Bloody Ford.

No comments: