Monday, February 14, 2005

Getting caught up

Because I was off the grid for a half week, I have spent most of the day getting caught up--answering emails, making calls... But that has been almost entirely work related. I still am not all the way in the world yet. I need to read the papers that have piled up and visit my friends' sites to get the news not in the papers. Sometime this week (maybe tomorrow) I will email everyone about the fascism site and start to get coordinated there too.

All of which is to say, no commentary on current events at this moment.

Since it is Valentine's Day, I offer you this story from Lancaster's Intelligencer Journal as an illustration of the culture of Lancaster from which I am emerging. Don't get me wrong--I've been in love before. I have no principled objection to an article titled something like "52 ways to say I love you." True, I am not a fan of shmatlz, but I remember the good feeling of doing sweet little things for someone else, and I suppose I can endorse a piece that encourages it. But this one...oy. If they are going to suggest that women put together pin up calendars of themselves or take belly dancing lessons, can't we at least add "for once in your life, take the trash out without your wife asking you too."

Anyway, that's where I spent four days. Here.

I'm glad to be back in LA.

No comments: