Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Words to live by

So one of my friends (oh let me lament the paucity of the English language) told me his ten life mantras, and it got me to thinking about mine. Which got me thinking about the things we say to ourselves in general through the years.

Here are some of my mantras:
Nature abhors a vacuum.
There's no wrong reason to do the right thing.
It's never as good as you hoped or as bad as you feared.
If you can't change your life, you can at least change your hair.
I could get hit by a bus tomorrow.
And said friend's:
1. It's great to be alive and in the city.
2. If you're careful enough, nothing good or bad will happen to you.
3. The journey is the destination.
4. Nothing makes sense anymore except for art.
5. Panic is not an option.
6. Stay free as long as you can.
7. This area is as safe as the fears you possess.
8. Hesitation is the enemy of spontaneity.
9. What would you attempt to do if you know you could not fail?
10. Be audacious.
Once upon a time I dated a guy whose mantra was "Do it until it doesn't feel good anymore...And then do it one more time just to make sure it doesn't feel good." Fun times.

So what about y'all? What are some of your life mantras? I've become sort of interested in this. I'm thinking it could make a good book. Sort of like postsecret only for inspiration. (I mean, if you're the kind of person who gets how "I could get hit by a bus tomorrow" is actually quite inspiring.)

No comments: