Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Not to be missed

Okay, I have been living in a cultural vacuum, I know, but I just found out Roman Polanski has a version of Oliver Twist coming out at the end of the month. I find this fucking hilarious.

I am having one of those "I love LA" weeks. Tomorrow I'm seeing Dead Man and Friday I'm going to Paul Weller. Am also vaguely contemplating weekend goodies like Exene's art show or the LA County Fair (I love county fairs--there's something extremely satisfying about eating food on a stick while watching missing chromosome people win large stuffed animals--maybe it's because I'm an Americanist, I dunno. And this year has the added draw of a KC and the Sunshine Band/Village People show). Realistically I will probably end up sluggishly doing not much this weekend given how running-on-empty I've been. But the choices--that's the point. I lived for 11 years in the upper midwest where I admit I went bowling, attended fish fries, and even went to a monster truck rally as part of the if-you-can't-beat-them strategy of surviving. I am so grateful to be back near an ocean again in a city that understands that Cows on the Concourse does not qualify as a cultural event worthy of an above-the-fold picture in the paper.

No comments: