Monday, July 11, 2005

Enough with the hand-wringing

Okay, I think I've had about as much contemplation of our fucked-up-ness as I can take for the nonce. The other thing I wanted to talk about today was Me, You, and Everyone We Know. And thinking about that made me realize that just about everything here falls into three categories: political lament, we interrupt your regularly scheduled lament for something really absurd or funny, and the restorative/ transformative power of art. And so we have: Everything's fucked--but what a beautiful poem--and how gross, you can get a flash drive shaped like a finger.

In the spirit of the second category, I interrupt the misanthropy fest to give a hearty recommendation for everyone to go see Me, You, and Everyone. Without wanting to spoil anything, I'm calling it a cross between I Have Heard the Mermaids Singing and Punch-Drunk Love. I hated the latter, actually, but I do think M, Y, and E is, in some ways, the movie P-D L wanted to be. Anyway, it's great. And Kim pointed me to Miranda July's blog--she being the powerhouse writer/ director/ actor behind the movie. I almost never see a film twice in the theater--the last time may have been Memento--but I knew before it was over that I was going to see it again as soon as I could.

No comments: