Monday, January 17, 2005

Second Amendment

Amidst all of this talk about the dems (Roemer) reconsidering their position on reproductive rights, I've been thinking about a different shift in position. While I couldn't agree more with the notion that the DNC chair should not be trumping the politics of capitulation, I do think the dems might want to rethink or at least nuance their position on gun control. Personally, I don't like guns. I'd be fine with a Constitution that never gave us the right to have them, but that's not the Constitution we have, and I think it's tough to hold a hard line position on free speech, right of assembly, and separation of church and state all the while legislating to take away guns.

Oliver Willis has written a lot about "brand democrat"--how to market the party, and I've always liked the idea of the "party of rights" or the "party of the Constitution" or something like that. It seems to me that new thinking on the right to bear arms might be a good way to appeal to a broader swath of the US. That is to say, democratic candidates need not go duck hunting (sigh), but they could talk about upholding the Constitution as a national obligation that involves compromise for each citizen. The Constitution as a sit down meal, not a buffet.

Just something I've been mulling over.

No comments: