Monday, April 18, 2005

Policy by Swift

As usual when I am so busy for several days that I lose track of the world, today when reading the news I had the sad realization that things did not magically improve while I was out of the loop. There's always a small part of me that expects to open the paper and be greeted with a giant "April Fools!" headline topping a story that says--just kidding; we haven't decided torture is okay, we don't really want old people to starve to death, we aren't really bending over all the way for the credit card companies, and so on. Of course, instead I got the news as you know it.

Among the articles from yesterday's paper that I am just reading today were one talking about logging as a possible solution to drought (because those pesky trees drink up so much of the water) and toll roads as a solution to freeway congestion (there was also a suggestion that employers who provide parking for free allow employees to "cash out" that benefit and a suggestion that we privatize public transportation).

Am I the only one who thinks this is an "old lady who swallowed a fly" kind of mentality here? Good god.

Happily beginning tomorrow I go back to a slavish existence for most of the rest of the week. I look forward to reading the newest modest proposals when I rejoin the human race at some point on Saturday. Yeesh.

No comments: