Sunday, June 05, 2005

I know I should quit smoking

I'm not trying to make allowances for a bad habit that is a social annoyance--I'm really not--but I do want to point out that there's something wrong with security policy that allows you pack an unloaded gun in your luggage but not a lighter. You know?

I am in Fort Lauderdale airport, on my way to DC. Despite a glacially slow connection, the presence of free wireless in the terminal is probably keeping me from potentially actionable choices on my part. I have been here too long. (It's hard to plan a sensible itinerary when you don't know the event schedule until you get there.) It is also a very lucky turn of events that the small child who was singing "I've been working on the railroad" over and over and over and over in a monotone voice while hanging upside down on the chair in front of me (chin toward the ceiling, small almond eyes fixed on me typing) has been removed by some beneficent adult.

I would say something brilliant about the news, but the connection is so slow that trying to access anything worth reading is more frustration than it's worth. I'm sure everything continues to be messed up in predictable ways. I'll read the paper on the flight after which time maybe I'll have something more profound and less whiny to say.

No comments: