Thursday, June 09, 2005

Doublespeak

Needless to say, I've been following the Patriot Act renewal news with some degree of anxiety and disgust. Anyone who knows me or reads this blog regularly already knows where I stand. Today's eyerolling entry will be short (I have shopping to do)--if you want more ranting about civil liberties, just read back in the archives. In the meantime, you can check out the White House fact sheet on the act. I particularly love this paragraph:
Before The Patriot Act, Criminal Investigators Were Separated From Intelligence Officers By A Legal And Bureaucratic Wall. The Patriot Act helped tear down this wall, giving law enforcement and intelligence officers the ability to share information, work together, and bring terrorists to justice.
I just love when the government refers to the Constitution as "a legal and bureaucratic wall."

One might also note that, even in the brief page allotted to the high points, they found space to quote Feinstein:
As Senator Diane Feinstein said, "I have no reported abuses."
I'm thinking there's a special spot in hell for Diane. If you're in doubt see January's entry on her grotesque boosterism of Rice.

Let's hear it for the one-party system. All we need is for Hillary to secure the Dem's nomination to cement it.

No comments: